About Us

The Cashmere Lawn Tennis Club was formed in 1923.


Noelene Hodder 03 980 7358 or admin@cashmeretennis.org.nz

Kathy Dwyer 021 821 794

Junior Administrator
James Meredith 0274235494

Go to our Contacts page for more details. Click Here


The Cashmere Hills Recreation Club was registered in April 1922 with the aim of establishing a place for playing tennis, croquet and bowls.

The club bought some five acres of land in a  current spot, blessed by sun and sheltered from wind.

An existing house is thought to have been used as the bowlers old pavilion while the tennis pavilion was built for about £1000.

In 1923, a committee of the club created a set of rules for the tennis section and agreed to affiliate with the Canterbury Lawn Tennis Association.

The Depression hit hard and the recreation club came under pressure to sell the land for building purposes.

This was resisted for several years but the financial pressures continued.

In 1939, the grounds were sold to the Heathcote County Council for £3800, more than enough to clear the club’s £2500 mortgage.

When in 1961, the land was then transferred to the Crown it was vested as recreation reserve so can never be used for housing.

1970 In the early 70’s the old chip courts were upgraded with 2 new courts made of porous cocrete .

1974 – It was proposed to replace the pavilion with a large new building incorporating squash courts .After much debate, the idea was shelved.

1976 – The croquet club built it’s own pavilion and established their own premises.

1979 – The clubrooms were redesigned with improvements to the kitchen, new doors onto the veranda, and a new implement shed. The club also considered installing floodlights for night tennis.

1982 – The 2 chip courts in front of the pavilion were replaced with Astroturf and a huge fundraising effort was initiated.

1984 – Courts 7 & 8 were converted from grass to Astro at a cost of $28,000

1987 – Ron and Andrew Bruce won the international family tennis championships in Marbella Spain.

1989 – 2 more Astro courts laid (9 &10)

1993 – Bar license obtained and bar staff authorized

1995 – Richard Suckling initiated a computerized system for club play

1997 –  A further 6 grass courts converted to Plexipave and Astro

2017 – Installation of new lights, following a protracted battle with some dissenting locals, extended playing hours during the winter